Great Days Out in North Wales
Check out our "Great Days Out" Attractions in North Wales.
Request your comprehensive guide to North Wales, packed with information.Read More
Newsletter Sign Up
Sign up to receive our free newsletter packed with all the latest news.Read More
Explore Ruthin Gaol - one of North Wales' most fascinating buildings. From 1654 to 1916 thousands of prisoners - men, women and children, innocent and guilty passed through its gates. Now it's your turn!
Find out what prison life in the 19th Century was really like:
- visit the 'Pentoville' cell block
- see how the prisoners lived their daily lives: what they ate, how they worked and the punishment they suffered
- explore the cells - including the punishment, dark and condemned cell
- find out about the 'Welsh Houdini' and William Hughes - the last person hanged at the Goal
- learn about how how the prison worked - its ingenious Victorian heating, ventilation and communication systems, the kitchen, bread ovens and well and spy-holes
- bring yourself up to date - from wartime munitions factory to its present imaginative conversion
Family (2+2) £10
Open all the time
April - 31 October, 10am-5pm Wed-Sun and Bank Holiday Mondays Last admission one hour before closing. Evening opening for groups by appointment.
email a friend
46 Clwyd Street, RUTHIN, Denbighshire, LL15 1HP
Map reference: SJ 121582 Lat: 53.11372 Long: -3.31467
Located on Clwyd Street in Ruthin, just off the A525.
Parking : with charge
Accessible by Public Transport :
If availability for this property is unknown please call the North Wales Tourism team on 08705 168 767 or use our online enquiry form. We can check availability, search for special offers and book your accommodation for you.
North Wales Tourism cannot be held responsible for the standard and quality of any property featured that is not graded by an official organisation.